Archaeologists in Warsaw discovered fragments of two human skeletons that likely were buried there during the Polish city’s ghetto uprising.
On Monday, archaeologists searching through the archive of the Jewish socialist party Bund in the basement of a former house on Swietojerska Street found a skull, arm bones and leg bones. Police will examine the bones.
In recent days, the archaeologists had found a sewing kit, a loaf of bread and a bowl of groats on the site of the former home, which is now a park, Krasinki Garden. The site is near the World War II-era Jewish ghetto but was not part of it.
The Bund archive had been hidden by party activist Marek Edelman in the home’s basement, which was unearthed by the archaeologists. During the uprising, the house was destroyed; the area was later included as part of the park area.
- Skeletons from Warsaw Ghetto uprising discovered (timesofisrael.com)
- Skeletons from Warsaw Ghetto uprising discovered (menorahblog.typepad.com)
- Skeletons believed from Warsaw Ghetto uprising discovered (jta.org)
- Skeletons believed from Warsaw Ghetto uprising discovered (5tjt.com)
- Haredi Former Ashkenazi Chief Rabbi Of Israel Yona Metzger’s Crimes Made Him A Wealthy Man, Police Say (failedmessiah.typepad.com)
- Prof. Moshe Arens in Shdema: New Version of Warsaw Ghetto Events (israelnationalnews.com)
- Shielding a Flickering Flame (truthdig.com)
- Skeletons believed from Warsaw Ghetto uprising discovered (jewishjournal.com)
- review#446 – The War within These Walls by Aline Sax & Caryl Strzelrcki (kid-lit-reviews.com)
- The Most Iconic Photos of the 1940s (stephendarorioniconicphotography.wordpress.com)